Scroll to content

Interactive Bar

Join Us Join Us
Contact Us Contact Us
Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter
Ernehale Flying High Academies

Welcome to

Ernehale Flying High Academies

Make every day count

Special Educational Needs

Ernehale's Graduated Response

1 What kinds of special educational needs does the school make provision for?

Ernehale Flying High Academies are mainstream schools. We celebrate the differences between all of our children and value the contribution which every member makes to the school community. The admission arrangements for all pupils are in accordance with national legislation, including the Equality Act 2010. This includes children with any level of SEN and or disability and those with Education, Health and Care Plans and those without.


2 How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

All our teachers closely track and observe children’s progress in both their learning and other developmental areas. If a child is off track with their learning, this will firstly be addressed with high quality teaching, adaptations or differentiation. If the teacher has further or different concerns then the parents/ carers will be contacted and a structured conversation arranged to address those needs and look at ways forward. At all stages of the process we welcome a close working relationship with parents/ carers and pupils.


Should a child demonstrate needs in a particular area then school may contact outside support agencies, but this will only ever happen with consent from parents and carers.

If you are concerned that your child has special educational needs then your first point of call is to contact your child’s class teacher and a meeting will then be arranged to discuss this.


If after this initial meeting, further advice/support is required, your child's class teacher can then complete a request for advice/support internal form. This will then be shared with the inclusion team, who will offer advice/support accordingly on an individual basis. 


The next step, if further support was required following the above advice/support, would be for the class teacher, with permission from parents/carers to complete an intervention request form. These will be shared and discussed with the inclusion team at least once every half-term. Feedback will then be given to staff. From this, half-termly intervention timetables will be updated. 


3 How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

Ernehale FHA continually evaluates its provision and practice. A termly report is produced for governors looking at SEND provision and practice each term. The governors are very committed and supportive and have been involved in decisions around the best SEN provision for our children. Class teachers and the inclusion team keep track of how pupils are progressing and evaluate the impact of interventions the schools provides.


4 How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support their learning?

If your child has SEN and or disabilities there will be regular contact with school, with SEN review meetings occurring termly. During these meetings, your child's SEN Support Plan will be shared. Your child’s progress is regularly tracked and analysed to see that they making the progress they should be. If your child is off track academically, socially and or emotionally extra interventions will be put in to support them. These may be part of the whole class teaching or may involve small group work and at times 1:1 support. You will be kept informed of the support your child receives and the impact that this is having. Ernehale FHA has an open door policy and you will be able to speak to the class teacher at the beginning and end of days. 


5 What is the schools approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

We believe that all children have the right to a high quality education that is tailored to their needs. We strive to support all our learners and work alongside both them and you as parents/ carers to ensure this happens.


6 How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child’s learning?

If your child has particular learning needs, SEN and or disabilities this will be communicated through the SENCO to the class teachers and teaching assistants. We work hard alongside you to ensure that we make our curriculum and learning accessible to all children. If your child needs extra support or resources in certain subjects we will aim to adjust the curriculum to fit their needs.


7 How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions are made according to each individual child’s needs. The head teacher, SENCO and class teachers look at the children who need support within school and ensure that their needs are being met. Sometimes this means making adjustments in the classroom, such as seating arrangements, sensory breaks, use of ICT etc. At other times this could mean small group or 1:1 interventions. The support from one child to another can vary greatly and working alongside you as the parent/ carer and any outside agencies that are involved we can find the best solution to ensure your child can progress and flourish.


8 How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

We include all our children in activities outside the classroom. We will work alongside you as the parent/ carer to find the best possible solution to allow your child full access to both the curriculum inside and outside of the classroom. This is a valuable part of your child’s education and life experiences and we want them to participate fully.


9 What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

At Ernehale FHA we value the whole child. It is extremely important to us that all our children feel happy, safe and achieve their full potential. We will work closely alongside you to look at any areas you and your child are concerned about be this, educational, social, emotional or health wise. We will then look at how to put plans into place to help your child grow and be a full member of our school community.


10 Who is the school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details?

The SENCO for Foundation, KS1 and KS2 is Miss A Abrahams and her contact details are -


11 What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

Our CPD programme for SEND is continually evolving and developing. We have a wealth of knowledge and expertise across our staff. We regularly join in with county and National training opportunities and then ensure this is fed back to staff in school and good practice is shared. Our recent SEND training has involved areas such as: Autism: Social Stories, Dyslexia, Physical intervention (CRB), emotion coaching, FASD, attachment and trauma, theraplay and ADHD.


12 What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

The schools belong to the Arnold Hill Academy family and the SENCOs meet regularly to share good practice.

The Healthy Families Team provide support within school and at home for children.

There is a Springboard meeting for SENCOs to attend three times a year and this is a forum where advice and support can be requested from the Schools and Families Specialist Services ( SFSS). These teams can offer advice and support to children, families and schools.


The school can also access support from the schools behaviour partnership, which is called GAP- Gedling Area Partnership.

The school regularly liaises with other outside agencies involved including, CAMHS and NHS services.


13 How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with Special Educational needs be secured? How accessible is the school/ setting?

The schools have partial wheel chair access and disabled toilets and shower/changing facilities.

The schools can provide assistive technology according to specific needs.

The schools will work alongside parents/ carers/ children and outside agencies to ensure needs are met.


14 What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with Special Educational Needs and or disabilities? How will I be involved in the education of my child?

Parents/ carers play a vital role in the education of their child. We work with parents/ carers and the child to look at ways to ensure the very best education. We are regularly in contact with parents/ carers and value the wealth of knowledge that they bring. There are review meetings throughout the year and extra contact as needed. This can take place, face to face, by telephone, e mail, and letter. As a team of home and school, we will have a far greater impact on the future of your child.


15 What are the arrangements for consulting children with SEN and or disabilities and involving them in their education?

We encourage children to be reflective learners and to understand the ways in which they learn best. There is the opportunity for them to discuss this with teachers, teaching assistants and peers throughout the school day.


If a child is on the SEND register before all review meetings children complete a pupil interview and are questioned about their learning and wellbeing at school. They also review the previous targets set and look at how they’ve achieved them and what steps can be taken next. Children are always welcome to be part of a meeting should the parents/ carers deem that appropriate. If not for the whole meeting then a suitable part where they can put forward their views and thoughts on reviewing and setting next steps.


16 What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school?

If you have a complaint we encourage you to approach the teacher of your child, the SENCO or the head teacher. We will happily work alongside you to solve the issue and look at ways forward. The school has an official complaints policy which can be referred to on our school website.


17 How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The school works alongside other organisations and services to ensure the very best for our children. We approach different services with parental/carer consultation to help find a pathway forward.


18 How does the school seek to signpost organisations, services etc. who can provide additional support to parents/ carers and children?

Our school signposts organisations depending on the individual needs of children and families. We do this through meetings with parents/ carers. The Local SEND Offer for Nottingham link is below and encourage the use of this for parents/ carers to see what options are out there.


Local SEND Offer for Nottingham


19 How will the school prepare my child to transition from KS1 to KS2 and from KS2 to KS3?

The following arrangements are in place.

Early Years to Foundation

  • Senco will visit early years settings to observe children and gain information about the child’s needs and requirements.

  • The senco will consult with specialist teams and support to ensure the correct provision can be put into place.

  • Extra transition and parental meetings will take place for children with additional needs.


Y2 to Y3

  • Handovers between staff arranged.

  • All SEND documentation is shared with class teachers.

  • Parent/carers meetings are set in place where they are needed and a structured conversation will happen.

  • Y2 visits to the junior school take place and any extra support and needs are provided for.


Y6 to Y7

  • Transition meeting takes place between Ernehale FHA's SENCO and Assistant SENCO for Arnold Hill Academy or other secondary schools. SEND information is shared.

  • Extra visits both within the juniors and other secondary schools take place for those with SEND and other needs.

  • Parental/carer meetings take place where needed.

  • All access arrangements are passed on.


20 Where can I access further information?

Further information can be obtained from our school policy on Special Educational Needs and Disability.

We are always available to answer and support you with any queries that you may have.

Ernehale Flying High Academies

Contact Us